TUW is a competition for The Scrap’s Content Writers and features 14 of the best MMA and pro wrestling writers around the world in a competition of article views. The first round of the inaugural season began May 1st and the winners this season will be determined monthly when highest article views go head-to-head to determine The Ultimate Writer.
The first round matchups feature pivotal head-to-head wars that saw underdogs rise to the occasion.
Below are the results of the first round of TUW.
Joel Torres (907 views) def. Emma Bramford (6 views) via KO 10 seconds into the first round.
Torres comes into the competition leaving the biggest statement in the first round of the tournament, showcasing why he is ranked #1 overall. It’s going to be tough to beat the team captain this season, writers – beware. Bramford had no chance.
- Team Joel leaves the night slightly ahead of Team Rags, winning 4-3.
- Read Joel’s article with 907 views – “The Ultimate Fighter 28 runner-up wants a shot at Greg Hardy next”
- Read Emma’s article with 6 views – “Reintroducing Cage Warrior’s Tom Watson: ‘I’m going to make my comeback and win the welterweight title'”
Matt Puppich (37 views) def. Hiram Alvarado (10 views) via unanimous decision.
Puppich pulls off the biggest upset of this season so far, beating the #2 ranked writer. WOW! Hiram was a front runner in the competition, but due to not writing articles this month, he let the competition slip away from his fingertips.
- Read Matt’s article with 37 views – “Which wrestling promotions could benefit from signing Sasha Banks?”
- Read Hiram’s article with 10 views – “The fights to make in UFC’s heavyweight division with DC waiting on Lesnar”
Austin Luff (91 views) def. James Jackson (20 views) via TKO in round 2.
Luff is the sole writer representing Canada, adding a win to even the playing field a bit. Jackson tired to put up a fight, but was ultimately outclassed by The Scrap’s 2x Article of the Month Champion.
- Read Austin’s article with 91 views – “Ladies of the Indies: Exclusive Interview with Mariah May”
- Read James’ article with 20 views – “Ranking the top fighters to be labeled greatest of all time in MMA”
Connor Rogowsky (60 views) def. @Brandon Sibcy (46 views) via submission early in round 3.
The team captain proved he’s here to win, putting out as much content as his opponent this month. Sibcy could have easily won the entire competition, the loss is a big hit to Team Joel.
- Read Rags’ article with 60 views – “What’s next for Aaron Pico after his most recent loss at Bellator 214?”
- Read Brandon’s article with 46 views – “Demian Maia vs Anthony Rocco Martin reportedly in the works for UFC Minneapolis”
Kevin Mahoney (125 views) def. Greg Matthews (0 views) via KO in round 1.
Mahoney came out with one of the strongest showing in the first round of the tournament. Statement made. Mahoney is generating a loyal following and will be a force in this competition. Maybe things would have gone different if Greg wrote an article this month. Regardless, Team Rags gets their second win of the season.
- Read Kevin’s article with 125 views – “Keys to Victory: Alex Gilpin has the opportunity to make a statement at PFL 2”
Jordan Ellis (77 views) def. Lee Brown (36 views) via TKO in round 3.
Ellis moves on to round 2, claiming the first win for Team Joel this season. Lee put up a great battle, publishing plenty of fire content, however, UK’s Ellis moves closer to becoming The Ultimate Writer.
- Read Jordan’s article with 77 views – “The UFC strawweight division is stacked with potential title contenders”
- Read Lee’s article with 36 views – “What would happen if Israel Adesanya and Jon Jones actually fought?”
Tyreef Cash (42 views) def. Dreux Stamford (3 views) via submission in round 2.
Cash moves on to the next round, kicking off the card with an upset over Team Joel’s Stamford. Maybe things would have gone different if Dreux wrote an article this month, since his 3 views come from an article he wrote in January. Regardless, Team Rags gets the first win of the first ever Ultimate Writer.
- Read Tyreef’s article with 42 views – “Jesse Finney on Shamrock FC, the regional scene, and business side of MMA”
- Read Dreux’s article with 3 views – “Ranking the Bellator fighters that could be competing in the UFC”