The fight has been rumored for a while, but now it’s set to go down at UFC London as the main event.
ESPN’s Brett Okamoto confirmed late Thursday night with UFC President Dana White that former UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley (19-4-1) and Leon Edwards (18-3) will square off on March 21. The bout will headline the night of action inside the O2 Arena.
For the former champion in Woodley, this will be his first fight back since his shutout loss to Kamaru Usman at UFC 235 in March 2019. “The Chosen One” has been vocal following the loss about how he wants an instant rematch with the now-champion in Usman.
Obviously, the division has changed pretty dramatically in such a short period of time since Woodley was atop it. And a part of that shakeup is the man known as “Rocky.”
Birmingham’s Edwards has truly evolved into one of the best and most well rounded 170-pound fighters on the planet since his UFC debut in November 2014.
After suffering a defeat to the aforementioned Usman in December 2015, Edwards has been perfect as he’s won eight straight. In his last three, he picked up impressive victories over the likes of Gunnar Nelson, Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone, and the former lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos.
A win over yet another former champion, this time in his division, would all but guarantee Edwards the next crack at the title. As for Woodley, he can get himself firmly back into the title contention discussions.
UFC London is continuing to take shape in light of the announcement. The current lineup can be seen below.
- Welterweight – 170lbs: Tyron Woodley vs. Leon Edwards
- Middleweight – 185lbs: Darren Stewart vs. Marvin Vettori
- Light heavyweight – 205lbs: Paul Craig vs. Ryan Spann
- Featherweight – 145lbs: Gabriel Benítez vs. Lerone Murphy
- Heavyweight – 207-265lbs: Tom Aspinall vs. Raphael Pessoa Nunes
- Middleweight: John Phillips vs. Dusko Todorovic
- Flyweight – 125lbs: Molly McCann vs. Ashlee Evans-Smith
- Welterweight: Nicolas Dalby vs. Danny Roberts
- Lightweight – 155lbs: Stevie Ray vs. Marc Diakiese
- Featherweight: Mike Grundy vs. Makwan Amirkhani