The Ultimate Writer: Season 3 is a competition that features 16 of the best combat sports content creators around the world in a competition of article views. Winners this week are determined when highest article views go head-to-head.
The first card showcased a killer #1 vs. #1 battle between last season’s winner and a not-so-new newbie. It was two-weeks long and the winners determined the Season 3 bracket once both weeks conclude. So although things are just getting started, there’s still so many curveballs to come…
Below are the results for the first round of TUW.
Katie Vega (140 Views) def. Josh Diaz (13 Views) via first-round submission.
Last season’s winner proves yet again why she’s one to watch this competition. Her win streak continues as Katie moves to 4-1 in TUW. Josh’s new content unfortunately did not resonate with fans as much these last two weeks, so he’ll have to switch up his gameplay moving forward in the competition.
Can Katie become the first 2x Ultimate Writer?
- Read Katie’s highest viewed article for weeks 1 & 2: “7 Puerto Rican MMA fighters you should know about”
- Read Josh’s highest viewed article for weeks 1 & 2: “While quarantined, the MMA community took over TikTok”
Connor Rogowsky (172 Views) def. Akhilesh Gannavarapu (5 Views) via KO in 45 seconds of round 1.
He is as advertised… Making sure the Newbies know exactly who he is, Rags comes out with the strong win this first round. The 2x runner-up has always done well throughout the tournament, but always fell short at the very end.
After convincingly beating Akhilesh, it’ll be interesting to see how The Scrap’s sole writer from India will bounce back. Will Akhilesh have a better second round? Can Rags finally win TUW? Stay tuned this season to find out…
- Read Rags’ highest viewed article for week 1: “Your go-to guide for Dana White’s Contender Series, Season 5”
- Read Rags’ highest viewed article for week 2: “TUF 29 matchups we would have liked to see on finale card”
- Read Akhilesh’s highest viewed article for weeks 1 & 2: “Five reasons why Super Fight League could not survive”
Brandon Sibcy (78 Views) def. Jake Foley (63 Views) via unanimous decision.
This one was a nail bitter, both men were always only a few points away from the win. But the Veteran shows why he could potentially win it all this year. But don’t count Jake Foley out moving forward. Once he gets the hang of it, he’s going to be one of the top Newbies to come out of TUW.
- Read Brandon’s highest viewed article for week 1: “Francis Ngannou vs. Ciryl Gane: The perfect story, the perfect fight”
- Read Brandon’s highest viewed article for week 2: “Genki Sudo: The path of the Neo-samurai”
- Read Jake’s highest viewed article for week 1: “Prospects to Watch: This week from Regional Scene”
- Read Jake’s highest viewed article for week 2: “Potential opponents for Chad Mendes’ BKFC debut”
Juan Reneo (124 Views) def. Dylan Fritts (39 Views) via KO in round 2.
The battle between our Pro Wrestling writers has officially come to an end! The Veteran Juan took this one, proving he has come a long way since his first TUW days. Dylan writes some great content, but it wasn’t enough to take on the establish Scrap writer from Spain.
Can Juan go all the way and become The Ultimate Writer for the first time? Or does the Newbie find his footing and eventually take home the prize?
- Read Juan’s highest viewed article for week 1: “WWE NXT: Is it the End of an Era?”
- Read Juan’s highest viewed article for week 2: “A review of AEW’s second mobile game: Elite GM”
- Read Dylan’s highest viewed article for weeks 1 & 2: “Strictly Enforced: Exploring Pure Rules of Pro Wrestling”
Ryan Truland (100 Views) def. Austin Luff (63 Views) via submission in round 3.
The first Newbie to get a win, Ryan gets the better of OG writer, Austin Luff in round 1. Ryan is going to be one to watch this season, he came in as a short notice replacement and within a matter of minutes was the highest viewed Newbie at the time.
Austin has been more active as of late, so it’s disappointing to see him get the L in this round. But he’ll bounce back. Can Ryan become the second Newbie ever to win TUW?
- Read Ryan’s highest viewed article for week 1: “Countries close to realizing their first UFC Champion”
- Read Ryan’s highest viewed article for week 2: “Aaron Jeffery is ‘putting in work’ at Syndicate MMA ahead of DWCS return”
- Read Austin’s highest viewed article for week 1: “Amanda Serrano defends Jake Paul: ‘He’s a good person'”
- Read Austin’s highest viewed article for week 2: “Top three feuds to make for CM Punk in AEW”
Kevin Varghese (150 Views) def. Lee Brown (42 Views) via KO at the end of round 2.
Another Newbie wins! Another Newbie wins! Kevin came into TUW with a bang, having the highest read article views amongst his teammates. This could put a target on his back, as now the rest of the contestants know he is not here to play around.
Kevin is going to be a tough one to beat, as he writes intriguing content that Scrap readers are starting to love. He’s also the first contestant on TUW to utilize YouTube content for his views. After a loss to a Newbie in the first round, Lee will have to bounce back in a big way next round, otherwise he could face elimination.
- Read Kevin’s highest viewed article for week 1: “Bellator 264: Everett Cummings Pre-Fight Interview”
- Read Kevin’s highest viewed article for week 2: “Fixing the Future: Maycee’s Mission”
- Read Lee’s highest viewed article for weeks 1 & 2: “Is cutting less weight and fighting at natural weight the latest UFC trend?”
Doug Murray (18 Views) def. Dreux Stamford (0 Views) via submission in round 1.
This match was a disappointment unfortunately, due to Dreux not writing an article upon his return to The Scrap. He’ll likely get replaced, but that doesn’t discredit Doug and his work.
Being one of three Newbies to win in week one, Doug will be one to keep an eye on as a Dark Horse in the competition. He writes some great articles fans will love as he progresses with The Scrap.
- Read Doug’s highest viewed article for week 1: “How would Olympic Gold Medalist Gable Steveson fare in MMA?”
- Read Doug’s highest viewed article for week 2: “Five UFC fighters you should be following on Instagram”
- Dreux did not have an article view during these last two weeks.
Cole Henry (1,717 Views) def. Leif Payne (9 Views) via KO in 6 seconds of round 1.
The season opener was definitely the jaw dropper of the entire card. After making his return to The Scrap after long layoff, Cole Henry came back with a bang. Not only did Cole destroy his Newbie matchup, he obliteration the entire competition, outscoring everyone by an extensive amount of views.
Can he remain consistent throughout the competition? Or will he ride the competition on an article he wrote years ago? Continue to follow The Ultimate Writer to find out!
- Read Cole’s highest viewed article for weeks 1 & 2: “Random Joe: The dirty life and crimes of Joseph Son”
- Read Leif’s highest viewed article for week 1: “This Week In Boxing: Olympic Triumph, Galahad World Champ & AJ-Usyk Sell Out”
- Read Leif’s highest viewed article for week 2: “Wilfred Benítez: Boxing’s Youngest Champion”
The Veterans take the lead this season, beating the Newbies 5-3. They set the tone for the bracket, leading to some interesting matchups in round 2…
See the official Season 3 Bracket below.
Which content creator at The Scrap will take home the title of The Ultimate Writer? Let us know in the comments below.